The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

A Rochesterian’s Voyage: Pittsburgh, PA

As a Rochester native, it is imperative to me that when I travel I grasp a new city’s most unique components. I look for the things our City of Rochester values: Art, Food, Culture, and History. These components, along with the people of the city, can tell us a lot about where we’re visiting and immerse us into their world, even for as short as 36 hours. While I’ll always be happy to come home to the Roc, I am just as excited when I have the opportunity to venture out. 

Pittsburgh is a city I’ve grown to love just as much as home, and I’ve noticed in the handful of times that I’ve visited how much Rochester has in common with it. If you only have a short amount of time to spend in the ‘Burgh (see, they have a fun nickname too), here are some destinations to make it worth your while. 

Art: The Andy Warhol Museum  

Known as the keeper of Warhol’s legacy, The Warhol preserves the artist’s work over the course of several decades. Starting on the top floor brings you to the beginning of Warhol’s career as an artist. As you work your way down, you’re met with more of his iconic works such as his Campbell Soup advertisements and Pop Art portraits. 

117 Sandusky St.

• Photo Via Visit Pittsburgh

• Photo by Brooke Eastman

• Photo by Brooke Eastman

Food: Stack’d Oakland 

Stack’d is a pub on Forbes Ave that primarily serves hamburgers, appetizers and milkshakes. If you’re a fan of bar food type restaurants, Stack’d may be the one for you. When you’re seated, you’re given a paper card with the menu and a tiny pencil. There are checkboxes next to each menu item that allow patrons to make their selections to pass along to their server when they’re ready, a unique restaurant practice. It was at Stack’d that I had the most unforgettable Buffalo chicken quesadilla. Bonus: order the pierogies, a Pittsburgh culinary staple!

3716 Forbes Ave.

Photo by Brooke Eastman

Culture: The Pittsburgh Penguins at PPG Paints Arena 

Good ol’ sports; the pride and joy of any city. Pittsburgh is home to three major black and yellow teams; the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers, the MLB’s Pittsburgh Pirates, and the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins were established in the Steel City in 1967 and have won five Stanley Cups since their debut. You can see the pride residents of Pittsburgh have in their sports teams when they represent some variation of a black and yellow jersey on their back. Nothing feels more communal than two strangers exchanging a “go Pens!” sentiment walking down the street.  

1001 Fifth Ave.

Penguins fans sure know how to celebrate! As a Kraken fan, losing this game was rough.
Photo by Brooke Eastman

History: Bridges! 

Rochester isn’t the only city with awesome history facts! Pittsburgh is home to 446 bridges, hence its popular nickname “the City of Bridges”. The first river-crossing bridge in the city, known today as the Smithfield Street Bridge, was built in 1818 and is one of the oldest steel bridges in the United States. The Roberto Clemente, Andy Warhol, and Rachel Carson suspension bridges are the only trio of identical bridges in the world. The vast number of bridges in Pittsburgh connect neighborhoods and residents, and make for a beautiful and unique skyline. The Schenley Bridge, sometimes referred to as “Love Lock Bridge”, is covered in dozens of padlocks placed on the sidewalk fence by couples. Who needs the lock bridge in Paris when we have Pittsburgh!?

Tip: Use paint to etch your initials so that they are long-lasting, just like the two of you!
Photo by Brooke Eastman

Whatever your reasoning, Pittsburgh is a city to experience for everyone. No matter what you’re interested in, there is something in this city for you that you likely haven’t seen or done before. There is something comforting about Pittsburgh in the sense that it’s so familiar to home here in Rochester, but different enough to keep me feeling excited, adventurous, and even a little bit lost in a good way. After visiting Pittsburgh, it truly became one of my favorite cities to travel to. The things I love about it are some of the same things I love about our own Flower City. Pittsburgh is a must-visit destination, just perhaps don’t come home saying “yinz”…

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

Your donation will support the student journalists of St. John Fisher University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.