The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

And the Grammy Goes to… Women!

The 66th annual Grammy Awards took place last night in Los Angeles, California at the Crypto.com Arena. Women dominated the entertainment industry within the past year, which is reflected by their work landing them the majority of nomination spots and sweeping in wins for the night. The “Big Four” categories of awards—Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best New Artist—were all won by women. Additionally, for the first time in history, female artists won an award for every televised award at the Grammys. 

Photo by Kevin Winter

Album of the Year: Midnights  by Taylor Swift 

Taylor Swift became the first person in history to win Album of the Year four times; Fearless (2008), 1989 (2014), folklore (2020), Midnights (2022). She broke the previous tie between herself, Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder and Frank Sinatra. Earlier in the telecast, Swift’s Midnights won the Best Pop Vocal Album award. She announced her upcoming 11th studio album, The Tortured Poets Department, during her acceptance speech. She is now a 14x Grammy winner. 

Photo by Kevin Mazur

Record of the Year: Flowers by Miley Cyrus

This year’s Grammy Awards gave Miley Cyrus the first two Grammys of her career. Along with her Record of the Year win, Cyrus won the award for Best Pop Solo Act for Flowers at the beginning of the ceremony. Her 2023 album Endless Summer Vacation also received a nomination for Album of the Year. 

Photo by Valerie Macon

Song of the Year: What Was I Made For? by Billie Eilish for Barbie

Written in collaboration with her brother, Finneas O’Connell, Eilish’s Barbie track earned five nominations at this year’s ceremony. It won the award for Best Song Written for Visual Media earlier in the evening. The song was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song. 

Photo by Sonja Flemming

Best New Artist: Victoria Monét

Monét was nominated for seven categories at this year’s Grammy Awards, also winning Best R&B Album and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical for her recent debut album, Jaguar II. She released an EP titled Jaguar in 2020 and has co-written on some of Ariana Grande’s major hits, including 7 Rings, 34+35 and Thank U, Next. These are the first three Grammys of her career. 

Other Wins by Women: 

Best R&B Song— Snooze by SZA

Best Progressive R&B Album— SOS by SZA

Best Música Urbana Album— Mañana Será Bonito by Karol G

Best R&B Performance— ICU by Coco Jones 

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album— Bewitched by Laufey 

Best Alternative Music Album— The Record by Boygenius

Best African Music Performance— Water by Tyla 

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance— Ghost in the Machine by SZA featuring Phoebe Bridgers 

Best Pop Dance Recording— Padam Padam by Kylie Minogue 

Best Country Album— Bell Bottom Country by Lainey Wilson 

• Dua Lipa, Photo by Kevin Winter

• Miley Cyrus, Photo by John Shearer

• Billie Eilish (Right) and Finneas (Left), Photo by Amy Sussman

• SZA, Photo by Amy Sussman

• Joni Mitchell (Left) and Brandi Carlile (Right), Photo by Chris Pizzello

The ceremony also featured an outstanding lineup of female performers including Dua Lipa, Miley Cyrus, SZA, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Joni Mitchell and Tracy Chapman.