The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

A Wedding for All

St. John Fisher’s MSA and ASU host a Shaadi on campus
Leilani Monegro
Photo by Leilani Monegro

On April 17, Degraj Suberi, the president of The Asian Student Union (ASU), and Hena Abdiani, the president of The Muslim Student Association (MSA), collaborated to host a Shaadi event to honor the celebration of marriage in South Asian culture. The ceremony is referred to as “Nikah,” which is the unwritten legal contract that unites a bride and groom in their marriage. This event, which welcomed over 50 students and faculty, provided a way to educate and share this tradition with a wider, diverse community. It is a commonly shared value between Muslims, Asians, as well as other individuals of Islam to share their culture and be open to others appreciating their traditions. Through a fun and informal display of a Shaadi, MSA and ASU were able to welcome attendees into what happens during the wedding and enjoy each other’s company in food and dance.

As the president of ASU, Suberi spoke on the goals and importance of cultural events such as the Shaadi. When the idea surfaced to host a Shaadi on campus, the main purpose was to celebrate marriage in the Asian community as well as their values of family. The event was successful in developing unity and belonging for students, Suberi said.

Photo by Leilani Monegro

What is most important about the Shaadi in Asian culture is how sacred the contract which unites the two individuals and their families in the marriage is. It is symbolic within the culture representing commitment, love and unity, according to Suberi. Events such as this are also important to allow a way for students, whether members of MSA and ASU or not, to increase their understanding of and appreciation for Islamic culture. This includes their values, practices, and dances which are welcomed by people of all backgrounds. 

Both ASU and MSA are looking forward to hosting more culturally inclusive events such as cultural fairs, interfaith dialogues, and even dance shows. Abdiani and Suberi both work to serve their clubs and the whole of Fisher’s student body and encourage anyone to join. They seek to educate and increase awareness among Fisher’s community. 

Hadia Abdiani is the younger sister of Hena Abdiani and is also a student here at Fisher. She really enjoys being a part of MSA and truly appreciated the Shaadi event. In her experience, she has been to a handful of Shaadis, like her friend Sarah’s which she describes as a beautiful celebration filled with laughter, music, and delicious food. The Shaadi differs from an American wedding:  it is not only about the unity of the bride and groom, but also places significance on how their previously separate families are now intertwined. Many aspects of the culture are present in a Shaadi, which Hadia Abdiani expresses as a festive atmosphere, vibrant colored dresses, unique, rhythmic beats in the music, and a promise of eternity. There are many parties leading up to the wedding for the family to gather and celebrate together. Individuals embrace their ancestors with joy and innocence in order to bond them with devoted love.

Photo by Leilani Monegro

Events like these remind students of the welcoming community around them and how anyone can become involved  and learn about new backgrounds in a good light. The diverse cultures around us are meant to be celebrated and shared among us in order to break down barriers and increase appreciation for the cultures that we may not call our own. Although Shaadis are not celebrated in every culture, we can still learn about what this value looks like in the Asian community and also reflect that love and unity for our own families and values.

Both MSA and ASU encourage more students to become involved to see what they have to offer in both an educational aspect as well as an appreciative understanding of the Islamic culture.