The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

“Dude, Where’s My Library?”

Fisher relocates library resources due to construction.
Lavery Under the Steeple (Nicole Pomerleau (@frames_by_nicole))

Take a look at Lavery Under the Steeple and you will find the resources you have been missing. 

“Staff and faculty of the library began preparation for the move 18 months ago.”

The Lavery library staff wanted to welcome students into the new library to help increase usage of the space. Even with the ongoing construction, students are not lacking a library. All expected resources of the library are still available for use in Kearney Hall. The staff emphasizes that Lavery is making efforts to advertise what it has to offer students.

Melissa Jadlos, the Library Director, has worked to make sure students get what they need. Her job incorporates behind the scenes work and student interaction. Her new office, previously located right off the main entrance of Lavery, is now in Kearney 414, but she has no complaints as she enjoys her new space. 

Library Construction (Nicole Pomerleau (@frames_by_nicole))

Jadlos said the move was quite efficient and the staff had lots of support from Fisher. The library staff took the initiative of the planning for design of the new space, the packaging of items such as books, and the moving process. Resources in the new library location include laptops, chargers, whiteboards for personal or group use, quiet study rooms, study booths, the Center for Career and Planning (CCAP) offices and library staff who are ready to help. Since the opening of the temporary library, there have been an estimated 10-20 students in the space at any given time. Staff are trying to encourage more usage of the space. 

Floor plan of Lavery Under the Steeple (Image via libguides.sjf.edu)

If students are having trouble finding a productive space to work or study or is seeking a resource that the library previously provided, they can still find all of those resources on the basement floor of Kearney. 

Staff and faculty of the library began preparation for the move 18 months ago when they received news of the construction project. A lot goes on behind the scenes, including the safe packaging and relocation of the university’s archives and other special items. Some artifacts within the library include original photographs taken of Frederick Douglass as well as photos depicting the Women’s Suffrage Movement, which the staff were responsible for. 

As of 10 months ago, the library staff began planning to organize a desirable space for students. Regardless of any stress or inconvenience, library staff have done a great job supporting the student body and offering all of the resources that they need and expect of the library. 

While the library renovations are an ongoing project, the library isn’t gone. Lavery Under the Steeple is still a great place to find resources including the CCAP offices, Writing and Tutoring Center, quiet study rooms, open study areas, printers and access to librarians, all on the bottom floor of Kearney Hall.

“Students can also offer feedback if they wish to see additional changes to the space.”