The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

Fisher Dance Club Hosts End of Year Recital

(Photo provided by Karly Smith)

By John Pagano, Staff Writer

As the semester comes to an end, the St. John Fisher dance club is holding their end of the year recital this weekend. The event is scheduled to take place in the Cleary Auditorium on campus beginning on Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 7 p.m., and Sunday at 3 p.m.

The dance team has been preparing for the recital since the beginning of the spring semester. It takes months to choreograph and perfect each individual dance.

“We have prepared for the recital by rehearsing from 9 to 11 p.m. each night in the week leading up to the show,” Executive Board Member Karly Smith said.

The show is expected to have no props and costumes due to COVID-19 restrictions. Dancers will be able to wear their matching recital t-shirts along with either black shorts or leggings. 

The format of the recital can be broken down into 18 different dances. The order of the dances was randomly selected therefore group dances, solos, and duets will all be intermixed throughout the show. As a final end to the recital, the members of eboard will perform a specially designed dance in order to complete the performance. 

Throughout the show, attendees can expect to hear a wide variety of music to go along with a wide variety of dances. “Dem Beats,” “Cherry Wine” and “Kings and Queens” are all recognizable songs that will be used throughout the performance.

MORE | Fisher sophomore continues her lifelong dance career with Fisher Dance Club

Along with the dances, there will be an award ceremony that focuses on recognizing the seniors, eboard members, and lastly giving out paper plate awards to each individual dance club member.

“I think that I am most looking forward to giving out the paper plate awards” Club Member Gianna Giglio said.

“It will be funny to see the different awards that everyone gets.”

With a limited amount of in person fans allowed, dancers will have to rely on each other to bring the energy they need to produce a great performance. “We are very thankful that we could have a recital this semester at all, so at least our families can watch it from home” said dancer Mairead Kelly.

Anyone who is interested in attending the show can join through zoom at the time of the performance. In person attendance will be limited to only 13 people who must have a reserved spot in advance.