The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

Destination: Dogtown

The name refers to hot dogs, but Dogtown also offers Rochester’s favorite: the plate. (Photo by Matthew Molinaro, Cardinal Courier staff writer)

Destinations is a Cardinal Courier feature about places to go and things to do in the Rochester area. If you have an idea for a Destination you’d like us to feature, send us an email.

By Matthew Molinaro staff writer

Plates, hot dogs, and city life. These themes revolve around the famous eating establishment Dogtown.

Dogtown opened in the early 2010s with the goal of recreating the way hot dogs are served to customers. Today, the shack offers more than 18 varieties of hot dog toppings. The shack also makes great burgers, plates and sandwiches. Vegetarians also rejoice: Dogtown also provides a plethora of veggie options in its menu.  

The first time you arrive at Dogtown the place looks like a hidden gem within the city of Rochester. Located at 691 Monroe Ave., the place is at the center of urban life, and somewhere you will be able to see people that come from all walks of life.

Dogtown’s “Golden Retriever” has bacon and cheese. (Photo by Matthew Molinaro, Cardinal Courier staff writer)

When you first walk in, you are greeted with the smell of hot dogs and french fries, which will soon overcome your taste. To the left of the door, a large menu describes every item to the last detail. To the center, you will be greeted by the knowledgeable staff at the counter.  You will also see the “Deal of the Day” and such delicacies such as cakes and pastries.

The dining experience at Dogtown is where the business is done.  Parties of four can sit inside at the booths/tables. Parties of a five or more can sit outside at the food court.  Business Insider hails Dogtown as “One of the Top 10 Hot Dog Joints in America”, putting it number nine on a list of 40 places nationwide.

One such delicacy that fits that category is called the “Golden Retriever”.  That’s right, Dogtown is famous for naming menu items after the names and characteristics of dog breeds.  The “Golden Retriever” includes one Zweigles hot dog laid on fresh bread, topped with two strips of bacon and melted cheddar.

Dogtown is known to charge quality prices for quality food.  For example, one person can look to spend around $7 for the “Golden Retriever” and a soft drink.

Democrat & Chronicle reported that Dogtown is the “Best Hot Dog 6X Gold Winner.” With great food and excellent service, Dogtown is a prime choice for Fisher students for a place to eat.