The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

Mainstage Area Gets an Upgrade, Grand Opening Scheduled for Spring

Renderings of the new Mainstage, provided by Amanda Metzger, the director of Student Engagement and Inclusion.

By Adelisa Badzic ’24, Staff Writer

During pre-COVID times, Mainstage at St. John Fisher College was a place to relax and spend time with friends. But this year, students can expect an upgrade of the space.

“It was a space intended to be welcoming and engaging, to relax and to study,” said Amanda Metzger, Director of Student Engagement and Inclusion.“But it was really a dark, not super comfortable place that wasn’t really getting utilized.” 

• Renderings of the new Mainstage, provided by Amanda Metzger, the director of Student Engagement and Inclusion.

• Construction is also underway for an outdoor area for students with a gas lit fireplace. (Photo by Adelisa Badzic)

• Renovations are underway in Mainstage and set to reopen in the spring of 2022. (Photo by Adelisa Badzic)

The college’s staff and vice president decided two years ago that it was time for a  remodel, and plans have been in the making since. With the decision of a remodel, came the announcement it will no longer be called Mainstage. A new name is yet to be announced. 

According to Metzger, something that students can look forward to is more lighting, “an industrial look, with raised ceilings, and my favorite is the booths that we will have right down the middle of the room.” Additionally, there will be  new furniture, a fireplace, and a TV.

The pool tables that were once located in Mainstage are now in Sono, located next to Cardinal Cafe. Also something new that is coming to the Fisher campus is an outdoor area with a gas lit fire pit outside of the welcome center. It will flow right out of Main stage. Students can expect the area to reopen in the spring of 2022.