The Student News Site of St. John Fisher University

Students Continue to Struggle with Parking Despite Numerous Changes Over the Year

Photo by Madison Weber ’23, Staff Writer and Social Media Editor

By Jenna Leydecker ’24, Staff Writer

During the course of the past year, there have been numerous changes in the on-campus parking policies for students at Fisher — all with the assumed intent to improve parking. 

“I’m worried that the lots will fill up,” Commuter Student Michael Minahan, said.

“I have been late to class because I couldn’t find a parking spot.” He stresses that it is difficult for him to find parking “for later classes,” when the campus is busier. 

Originally, in an email sent in May of 2021, the parking policy stated that residential students had to park in specific lots designated on their parking pass, or in the overflow parking lot. First-year students who were residents were not allowed a parking pass.

However, this changed in June of 2021. Another email was sent out that told the community that residential students with a parking pass could park in any open residential parking lot. The rules for first-year students still stayed the same. 

Commuter students could park in the designated commuter lots located closer to classrooms and campus buildings. 

In an email to the student body on June 7, 2021, Fisher, once again, said it was updating the parking policy because parking was lighter at night and on the weekends. 

Safety and security at the school told students that anyone parked in a lot that they were not supposed to park in would receive a ticket from the college. 

This policy was reinforced throughout the fall semester of 2021, until December 13, 2021, when it was announced the changes to the parking policy for Spring 2022. First-year students were now allowed parking permits and were allowed to park in the lots behind Murphy resident hall. 

The numerous changes to the parking policy have left students questioning whether there will be any more changes in the upcoming semesters. The new parking regulations also limit the number of parking spots on campus, making it hard for some to find a spot in order to get to class.  

“The parking situation is limited, it’s incredibly hard to find parking, especially in the SLC parking lot,” another Commuter Student Allison Rogowski said.  She also suggested there should be “more assigned parking, or better flow of parking” on campus. 

However, this issue doesn’t only affect commuter students. Resident students have also had trouble finding parking spots close to their building as well.

“It’s always hard to find close parking,” says Brooklyn Kicherer, a resident at Fisher. “I feel bad for people who need their cars every day.” Kicherer suggests that she would like to see “people be able to get parking permits in certain lots” and more parking for certain buildings.

“I understand people have needs, and people need to get places,” says Elizabeth Tramonto, the president of the commuter council and the commuter senator for the SGA. 

She further emphasizes the issues with the shuttles not being on time, and residents parking in commuter lots.“Unfortunately, they need to start being stricter about tickets, or go back to how it was before with specific lots for each residence hall.”

“The change was a step, but not in the right direction. There is no right solution, but it definitely needs to be gutted and rethought out.” 

MORE:

Fisher announces changes to parking policies